Thursday, April 30, 2009

Driving on the Left....

is serious business. what a challenge to your senses. everything is so thoroughly counterintuitive. steering wheel on the right, turn signal and lights on the right side of the wheel, manual shift on the left! clockwise moving traffic circles! you must supress every driving instinct you have because the alternative is not good, my friend. So - to repeat the mantra my friend, marcus, left me with, "left is right and right is wrong." I know he meant to be helpful with this, but given the split seconds in which some driving decisions must be made, I've reduced this most essential guidance to "left!!" Can't wait to get out of Capetown to make this mental and physical effort simpler. my advice: do not multi-task while attempting this fretful activity. this means no music, talking, maybe even no gum chewing. and, never, I repeat, never do this when jet lagged. I am at red alert all the time.

(yes, it does get better. but, that's much later.)

No comments:

Post a Comment