Tuesday, March 3, 2009

randomly speaking

so, what's this? what self-focussed, fatuous, self-indulgent, narcissistic fantasy is this? as if someone other than I would have any interest in hearing what I have to say. ridiculous. first, it was facebook, now a blog. have I any dignity left? unlikely. but, it could be fun, right?

let me begin with a few casual observations, of interest perhaps only to me.

1) as a recent emigre to Charleston, I have noticed how incredibly friendly the locals are. first, there was the guy, a total stranger, who offered to help me tote my new huge TV from the store to my house even though we had met 9 seconds earlier. this volunteerism included helping me tote this huge box up a flight of steps and into the living room. then, there's the very nice lady at the Piggly Wiggly who blesses me every time I check out on her line. my path to heaven is absolutely insured. and, there's the local postmistress who asked me just the other day to come over and cook dinner for her family on the strength only of a t-shirt I was wearing indicating I might know something about food.

2) the median age of the folks who live in my immediate community full-time appears to be 109. very nice, friendly folks, but not alot of mountain climbers here.

3) I find it a bit unsettling that the "experts" do not appear to agree on whether it's "butt naked" or "buck naked." shouldn't we be sure about this?

4) I discovered the other night how incredibly tasty a tilapia is when it is marinated in a chipotle sauce and, after a good saute, it is topped with sliced kiwi and banana that have been caramelized a bit in a pan with toasted sesame oil. try it.

5) I do believe there are more religious radio stations here than places where you can get shrimp and grits, and that's saying something. you got your religious music stations (traditional and rock), your fire and brimstone stations, your sermon-laden stations, and your chatty moral advice shows. it's all there, and it's a bit of a challenge to find stations to fill up those auto pre-set positions for the car radio, believe me.

No comments:

Post a Comment