Sunday, March 15, 2009

deep seated or deep seeded?

Thought you knew, didn’t you? I did too. But, when Lily raised to me the other day the notion that it was not “deep seated” at all but “deep seeded,” well, I won’t say I was rocked to my foundation, but I was taken aback that there was even another option. You would think that when you’ve been saying something all your life and you’ve never been corrected, you feel you’re pretty safe that whatever you’re saying you are saying correctly, right? The funny thing is that both versions of this phrase are virtually indistinguishable from one another to the naked ear, as it were. So - I had to acknowledge that it could have been the case over the years that other folks hearing me say this phrase may well have been thinking to themselves that I was, in fact, saying “deep seeded.” and, when you get to think about it, a solid case could be made for both. “Deep seated” meaning, of course, felt down to your very crotch -- to where it all began, the source of all things, down to one‘s true core. But, “deep seeded” evokes a very similar sentiment: a primeval thought, present almost at the creation. Naturally, the “experts” are all over the place although it does give me some comfort that dictionaries are solidly in my corner. one of life’s enduring mysteries? Probably not. But still…..

No comments:

Post a Comment